Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Milk Jug Seed Starters


I found an idea in the November 2011 issue of The Herb Companion. I'm not wild about the idea of setting up grow lights in the dining room, but starting seeds in a milk jug (which I have plenty of on a regular basis) and putting it outside in our mild climate is very appealing.

I'm going to start my Mortgage lifters (big, sweet, pink tomatoes) and the free (from Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds) Riesentraube Tomatoes (German for "Giant Bunch of Grapes) in this method so that I can have them to go in the ground as early as January. I've put tomatoes in that early before with success.

To see the article Go To:
www.herbcompanion.com/gardening/cold-frame-for-herbs-make-milk-jug-seed-starters.aspx

22 November 2011 - I just learned that this technique is called "Winter Sowing". More information can be found at www.wintersown.org. It appears that it can be done anywhere, not just here in the deep south.

No comments:

Post a Comment